Crunchy Spring Rolls with Asian Pistachio Dipping Sauce
IngredientsCrunchy Spring Rolls: Feel free to mix and match your favorite veggies in this scrumptious appetizer. For a more substantial meal, shredded roast chicken, BBQ pork or chopped (cooked) shrimp can be added as well.
- 1 - 12 ounce package spring rolls skin (Available in Asian markets)
- 1 cup finely julienned jicama
- 1 cup finely julienned red and/or yellow bell peppers
- 1 cup finely julienned radishes
- 1 cup finely julienned celery
- 1 cup grated or finely julienned carrot
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup finely julienned red or yellow onion
- Small basil leaves (optional)
- Small mint leaves (optional)
- Red chili flakes (optional)
- 1 bunch well-rinsed cilantro (trim stem ends to 1 inch)
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted pistachio kernels
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 to 4 tablespoons water (optional)
Crunchy Spring Rolls
Place each vegetable in separate small bowls or on small plates. Fill a pie pan or small cake pin with 1/2 inch of lukewarm water.
Dip a spring roll skin in water for about 30 seconds to soften and transfer to a clean dry towel. Place about 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables on the wrapper, leaving 1 inch border clean to the edges. Using squeeze bottle (or a tablespoon) drizzle a tablespoon of the dipping sauce over the veggies. Fold the sides inward and then carefully roll the wrapper away from you, as you would roll a burrito. Repeat with remaining ingredients. You will have approximately 16 spring rolls.
To serve, halve rolls on the diagonal with a sharp knife and place the rolls upright on your serving platter. Serve with Asian Pistachio Dipping Sauce.
Note: Spring rolls can be made a day ahead. Cover them with a damp paper towel, wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before halving and serving. For an appetizer, serve two halves per person. As a main course, serve at least six halves per person.
Asian Pistachio Dipping Sauce
Place all ingredients in jar of a blender or bowl of a food processor. Blend or process for one minute or until very smooth. The sauce should be the consistency of thick cream. Add water, tablespoon by tablespoon, if necessary to thin sauce. Transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy serving. Keeps refrigerated for about 4 days.
Nutritional Analysis for one spring roll Calories 70, Fat 1.5 g, Sat Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Sodium 160 mg, Carb 13g, Fiber 2 g, Sugars 4 g, Protein 3 g
Nutritional Analysis for 2 tablespoons serving sauce Calories 35, Total Fat 2.5g, Sat Fat 0 g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 260 mg, Carb 3 g, Fiber 1 g, Sugar 2 g