Spinach Salad with Smoked Turkey and Pistachios
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup arugula
- 8 ounces shredded or chopped smoked turkey breast
- 3 tablespoons chopped dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 large navel orange
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pistachios, toasted
In a large mixing bowl, place the spinach, arugula, turkey, cranberries, mint and 2 tablespoons pistachios. Scrub the orange lightly with an abrasive sponge to remove any surface impurities. Rinse thoroughly and dry well. Remove the peel from the orange with a zester or citrus grater. Peel the orange. Cut the orange in half vertically, then slice the halves horizontally into 1⁄4-inch-thick pieces. Set aside in small bowl to catch any juices.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, agave, horseradish, salt, pepper and oil. Add 3 tablespoons of dressing to the salad and toss well.
To assemble: Arrange the reserved orange slices around the outer edge of chilled plates. Mound the salad in the center. Garnish with extra pistachios if desired. Pass the remaining vinaigrette.
Nutritional information (per serving): Calories 190, fat 8 g, sat fat I g, cholesterol 25 mg, sodium 220 mg, carbohydrate 15 g, fiber 3 g, sugar 9 g, protein 12 g
*Adapted with permission from A Small Guide to Losing Big by Cheryl Forberg RD (Flavor First Publishing 2015)